Thursday, December 30, 2010

A Look Backwards...And Off To The Side: Elegy To A Video Store

2010 In "The World I Thought I Knew Is Dead" Omens: To formalize the massive sea change in the video rental industry, Blockbuster Inc., saddled with $900 million in debt, files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy and shutters 545 stores in the fiscal year 2010. In December, they announced there would be an additional 182 closures by the end of April 2011 as they struggle to stay alive. Meanwhile, Netflix rolls out a streaming video-on-demand-only plan while the company claims to be charting a course away from the DVD-by-mail model.

And Heaven help me for what I'm about to do...


In the year of eighteen and one
Peg and awl
In the year of eighteen and one
Peg and awl
In the year of eighteen and one
Peggin' shoes was all I done
Hand me down my peg, my peg and awl

In the year of eighteen and two
Peg and awl
In the year of eighteen and two
Peg and awl
In the year of eighteen and two
Peggin' shoes was all I'd do
Hand me down my peg, my peg and awl

They invented a new machine
Peg and awl
They invented a new machine
Peg and awl
They invented a new machine
Prettiest thing I ever seen
Throw away my peg, my peg and awl

Pegs a hundred pair to my one
Peg and awl
Pegs a hundred pair to my one
Peg and awl
Pegs a hundred pair to my one
Peggin' shoes it ain't no fun
Throw away my peg, my peg and awl

In the year of eighteen and three
Peg and awl
In the year of eighteen and three
Peg and awl
In the year of eighteen and three
New machine it set me free
Throw away my peg, my peg and awl

In the year of eighteen and four
Peg and awl
In the year of eighteen and four
Peg and awl
In the year of eighteen and four
Swore I'd peg them shoes no more
Throw away my peg, my peg and awl

(source: user Mrschimpf via en.wikipedia)



(Both photographs used under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 license. As part of the CC deal, I'm pretty sure I have to tell you this every time.)

No comments: