Monday, November 15, 2010

It's A Wonderful Scrounger's Cheap-Jack Christmas Special!

It's becoming increasingly obvious I need to get back in a bloggy mood, so what better way than to do a dumb thing for the Christmas season?



My dumb Christmas mini-project is pretty simple: Right now on my desk, courtesy of the $5 bin at Walmart and the good folks at Mill Creek Entertainment, is 21 hours worth of what could very well be called "Christmas TV classics" if we're going by the box, or "a bunch of public domain TV episodes which at the bare minimum have a Christmas tree in there somewhere" if we're going by what's listed on the box. The truth, of course, lies somewhere in between, and that's one of those things we'll just have to discover together. Here's the deal: I'll be doing somewhere in the neighborhood of one hour a day until we either run out of shows or run out of Christmas, whichever comes first. If we do come up a little short, there's also a few other dollar store classics to get us the rest of the way.

The most obvious question you could pose to all of this is "Dude, Thanksgiving's still a week and some change away, why are you starting now?" The obvious answer is "Because SHUT YOUR STINKING TRAP, that's why!" But honestly, the head start (as little as it is) is just to give me some breathing room in case I temporarily conk out. Look at the date on my last post here. Obviously I need some advance time before I inevitably let you down.

Anyway, here's what we're up against. Because I'm anal (the bad kind of anal, as Ron White once put it), I filled in the broadcast dates as best as I could from online episode guides and the IMDB, but a few are guesses since not all of these shows used real episode titles in the first place. I'm correcting these as I go along, so this post will change a lot before we're done.

Disc 1:


Disc 2:

Halftime Special/Unadvertised Surprise: Yes, Virginia, There Is A Santa Claus (12/6/1974; not on the Mill Creek set)

Disc 3:


Disc 4:


These probably won't be obsessively crafted write-ups, but there will hopefully be enough details that you won't feel completely lost. As for the "gap plugging" entries...well, we'll get to those when we get to those. Just you wait...even I was surprised what a buck gets you when you lower your expectations.

Stay tuned...for CHRISTMAS!

(A proper disclaimer inserted on December 23rd: I am not employed by or otherwise connected with Mill Creek Entertainment, and the usage of their cover art above should not be construed as an endorsement on their part. It's just there as an illustration of my "source text". I'm just a guy who paid his money and took his chances.)

No comments: