Saturday, November 24, 2007

Bill Conlin Is A Classy Individual

I don't blog about sports, don't even watch sports, and am not familiar with any of the involved parties, but when a trusted associate who does all of the above pointed out this exchange, like a moth to a flame came I. Basically, a sports blogger was trying to engage a newspaper columnist in a discussion, and the columnist (who is a busy, busy man, I'm sure) instead decided to play another game altogether. Sing along, you probably all know the words by now:

The only positive thing I can think of about Hitler’s time on earth–I’m sure he would have eliminated all bloggers. In Colonial times, bloggers were called “Pamphleteers.” They hung on street corners handing them out to passersby. Now, they hang out on electronic street corners, hoping somebody mouses on to their pretentious sites. Different medium, same MO. Shakespeare accidentally summed up the genre best with these words from a MacBeth soliloquy: “. . .a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. . .”


I dare you to read that in Will Ferrell's "crazy Harry Caray voice". If you haven't already, that is.

You can tell this Bill Conlin guy doesn't "get" the Internet when he hands a platoon of bloggers a free Hitler Card (Just in time for the holidays! Doesn't it just warm your heart?), and his subsequent "some of my best friends are..." defense is so predictable you could set your watch by it. But of course, the first thing I came up with is "Damn those pamphleteers...sure, they did the whole thing with 'throw off the shackles of the Crown' and 'these are the times that try men's souls,' but what have they done for us lately? Being dead is no excuse." And that's the type of lateral thinking which has made me almost invisible on the Internet.

(More later? No idea. It's not like I'm doing anything else this weekend...)

No comments: