Monday, November 06, 2006

Unsettling Corporate Trend of the Moment

When I first heard the word "crowdsourcing" applied to the way Ganett was going to run its newspapers from now on, I thought to myself, "FINALLY, print journalism with the integrity and oversight of your typical Wikipedia page!"

Yeah, I know it has to be more involved that, but the whole concept just sounds so chintzy. It's one thing for CNN to invite "citizen journalists" to contribute news videos and another to hand a huge chunk of the newsroom over to presumably unpaid regular people. As a recovering wrestling fan, and reader of wrestling news sites, I'm very familiar with the level of quality you can expect from amateurs who suddenly have an overinflated sense of self importance. A lot of it is awful enough to read for free, but buying a subscription for home delivery? That just hurts.

(Wait just a second..."amateur", "overinflated sense of self importance", "awful to read"... If it wasn't for the fact that I only pretend that people read this, that could be used against me. And if you do, add "false modesty" to that list.)

All that aside, it also sounds like a great way for a clever person with a vendetta to screw somebody over in a most public way, and as history has taught us, that should be left only to trained professionals.

(Edit on 11/7: And now, an opposing viewpoint...)

No comments: