Monday, September 11, 2006

Five Years On

The benediction thing would be a bit silly today. I don't want to do it, you probably don't want to read it, and neither of us will be getting paid for it anyway.

I made an oath when the first anniversary of this day came around: to make a florid show in public over total strangers for total strangers seemed too much like making this tragedy about myself, so I wouldn't say anything on my rotten little blog if I couldn't bring anything useful to the table. Sadly, that seems to be contrary to the direction the national debate has taken, where everything is more about scoring debate points on the other side than actually solving anything.

So the most useful thing I can do today is be simple: On September 11, 2001, 2,997 people set out on their day--either in a plane, at World Trade Center, or at the Pentagon--and never made it home. The only thing the majority of them did wrong that day was show up.

The man who sent death our way is still at large, and how his capture wasn't our sole focus over the past five years is a national disgrace. I have no problem with "never forget." I just want people to remember it correctly in the first place.

No comments: